Two-weight world champion Devon Alexander is ready to get back in the ring following his recent defeat against Shawn Porter, with the possibility of a redemption attempt at the forefront of his mind.
The 27 year-old lost his IBF welterweight crown to Porter in a closely-fought, but ultimately disappointing performance which ended any hopes of Alexander being in the running to face Floyd Mayweather in May.
Alexander was previously mentioned by Mayweather as a potential opponent via the pound for pound king’s Twitter account in 2013, although ‘The Great’ knows he needs to at least regain his title again to be considered.
“My team, Team Alexander is working on the best move for me and it will be another move to make me champion again,” Alexander exclusively told World Boxing News on Thursday.
“A rematch with Shawn Porter is possible, but we will have to wait and see as I want what’s mine!”
A mandatory bout with undefeated Kell Brook was also in the works for the majority of 2013 until injuries ruled the Briton out of a clash, but Alexander still believes that ‘The Special One’ had no intention of ever taking the fight.
“We will know something soon on who I may fight, but I know Kell Brook wants no parts in it,” said Alexander. “I am on a different path to Brook, but if the fight comes across my desk I will entertain it, although I doubt it will.
“I want to fight anybody that can help put me back where I should be – which is at the top!”
Finally, Alexander was asked for his view on Mayweather’s current saga involving Marcos Maidana or Amir Khan as the two fighter’s vie for a place in the opposite corner at the MGM Grand this coming spring.
“Well it’s my view that Mayweather shouldn’t fight neither as I can beat both,” Alexander explained. “I beat Maidana already and I would have beaten Khan if he had taken the fight in December.
“I have beaten more of the top guys than both of them put together, but I think Maidana has a better chance of getting the fight because Mayweather is getting too much backlash from picking Khan first.
“We will just have to wait and see what happens next,” he added.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN