Maidana scoffs at reports Mayweather fight is done
WBA champion Marcos Maidana has issued a statement of denial in the wake of some inaccurate reports that the welterweight king has been chosen for a unification with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3.
The hard-hitting Argentinian, who lost out to Amir Khan in a recent vote on the official Mayweather Promotions website, has been the subject of false confirmation articles over the weekend and has felt compelled to clear them up.
“Considering that rumors have been circulating in the last few hours adressing a ‘done deal’ fight between WBA Welterweight champion Marcos Maidana and WBC champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. we want to clarify that those versions are not accurate,” said the Team Maidana release.
“Maidana is well aware that he is indeed a firm candidate to face Mayweather Jr. next May 3rd, but the fight is far from being made or confirmed as other fighters are still also in the mix.
“Hopefully we will have news in the next few days, but in the meantime we don’t want to confuse the fans or the boxing press.
“Maidana of course wants to unify titles with Mayweather but for now we will have to wait.”
Manager Sebastian Contursi exclusively told WBN last week that he would be speaking with Al Haymon over the weekend on the possible Mayweather deal, although the result of those talks is as yet unknown.
Khan also remains fully involved in what still seems to be a two-horse race for the privilege of securing a massive paycheck with Mayweather, who is content to stay quiet for the time being as speculation continues to mount.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN