Maidana still in the running for Mayweather, plans Haymon talks – Manager

WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana continues to hold out of hope of being granted a big money unification with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3, even after rival Amir Khan took victory in the final voting process.

According to Maidana’s manager Sebastian Contursi, the Argentinian has not been told by Mayweather that Khan will be confirmed for the ‘Money’ clash, and talks expected to take place with the advisor to both sides, Al Haymon soon.

“Since the vote there has been no news so far so I guess that means that we are still in the running,” Contursi exclusively told World Boxing News.

“Although we haven’t spoken to Al Haymon this week, we will talk on the phone over the weekend and see what is the next step regarding the fight with Floyd Mayweather.”

Maidana, 30, was beaten by a wide margin in the official poll on the Mayweather Promotions website last week, leading many to believe that Khan would be officially placed as the next challenger to the pound for pound king in earnest.

With some fans calling the voting process fixed, due to polls on other websites favouring Maidana for the fight, it is thought Mayweather could be having second thoughts on naming Khan – which is the speculated reason for the current delay.

Others less sceptical are convinced that Khan will be the fighter chosen for May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, although there is one thing that is certain in the whole process – and this is the fact that nobody can ever second guess Floyd Mayweather.

Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN