27
Sep
2020

IBF uphold split, Groves set to bank just 15% of Froch rematch purse

Phil Jay 30/01/2014

George Groves has been denied in his quest to gain more than the standard 15% split for a boxer of his status with the International Boxing Federation if the Londoner agrees to battle Carl Froch in a rematch later in the year.

‘The Saint’ had been hoping for an increase to at least a quarter of the purse for the touted return, after turning down what was said to be a seven-figure offer from Froch as revealed by the champion last week.

“Earlier today the IBF/USBA Board of Directors reviewed the arguments of George Groves and his attorney to increase his percentage of a potential purse bid split for the rematch with Carl Froch from the standard 15% for the boxer rated #3 or below to 25%. Carl Froch and his attorneys argued to maintain the standard split of 85% to the champion and 15% to the challenger. The Board voted unanimously to maintain the 85%-15% split,” the IBF told World Boxing News on Thursday.

In turning down the initial offer, Groves may now have significantly reduced his cheque for the contest as promoter Eddie Hearn continues work on securing a big enough venue to stage what is set to be a massive pay-per-view event in late spring.

Hearn is eyeing a football stadium, possibly Arsenal’s Emirates or Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge, in a fight that has been demanded by the UK public following moves by Froch to face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN