Jay Deas likes Fres Oquendo fight next for Deontay Wilder
Big-hitting heavyweight contender Deontay Wilder could mix it with former two-time world title challenger Fres Oquendo as trainer and manager Jay Deas looks into the options for the American’s next move.
The 28 year-old is lining up a return in late spring as the ‘Bronze Bomber’ edges nearer to a world title fight. Deas is even hopeful that the WBA will sanction a fight with Oquendo, 40, for the vacant ‘regular’ heavyweight belt previously held by Russian Alexander Povetkin until his defeat by Wladimir Klitschko.
“There is nothing yet on Oquendo, but I like the fight for Deontay and hope we can make it happen for a title,” Deas told World Boxing News.
WBN previously spoke to the WBA’s Gilberto Mendoza on the current situation regarding the belt, although the Vice President was not receptive to the idea as he and his senior officials weigh-up the future of the controversial ‘super’ and ‘regular’ titles.
“Making the fight for a title would be all of our preference but its a great fight regardless,” said Deas.
“Fres is a quality fighter who has competed well at the highest level. His people are very professional and so it would be a good fight to make for both Deontay and Fres.”
There is talk that Wilder could fight on the Mayweather v Khan undercard on May 3 in Las Vegas, with Deas confirming last week that Apri or May was a possibility for Wilder who is aiming to add to his 30 straight knockouts.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN