Schaefer says all systems are go for Canelo v Angulo on March 8
Former world champion Saul Alvarez will hope to begin his rebuilding process with a victory as the young Mexican takes on compatriot Alfredo Angulo on March 8 in Las Vegas live on Showtime pay-per-view.
Golden Boy Richard Schaefer told WBN that the formalities that previously held up the fight had been completed and the two big-punching fighters are now ready to lock horns at the world famous MGM Grand.
It’s hard to believe that Alvarez is still just 23 if you scan his already-packed resume as the boxing star makes his 45th professional bow having suffered his first loss to Floyd Mayweather in September of 2013.
‘Canelo’ is already an ex-unified title holder at light-middleweight and could conceivably regain a version on the night if Mayweather vacates the belt he took from Alvarez and the WBC approve the contest.
Mayweather, 36, announced his intent on staying at welterweight for the foreseeable future in 2013 and giving up the 154lb belt seems a natural progression that could benefit whomever comes out on top in the spring.
Schaefer is keen on selling the fight as a Latino grudge match, which would suit the hardened Angulo down to the ground, as the 31 year-old has a reputation for becoming embroiled in ring wars like his recent fight with Erislandy Lara.
Although ‘Perro’ lost the WBA title fight, he had the Cuban in serious trouble on a couple of occasions and that is the excitement Schaefer was looking for when bringing back such a big draw as Alvarez on the back of his biggest PPV outing to date.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN