Commonwealth gold medallist Thomas Stalker has opened up to WBN on his difficult decision to leave Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Sport stable in favour of a move to rival Frank Warren and BoxNation.
The 29 year-old has made the bolt switch despite being made an offer to stay by Hearn, but believes that working with Warren is the way forward and plans a busy next few months under the new TV banner.
“I am looking forward to an exciting new chapter of my boxing career and am delighted to have signed with Frank Warren,” Stalker told World Boxing News.
“The project put forward for building me up in the future, added to that the great financial offer and it was too good to be true. There was a offer on the table from Matchroom as my contract expired at the end of last year, but this was the right move for me at the right time.
“I would like to apologise for leaving Matchroom, but I have to do this for me and my family. I thank Eddie Hearn and his team and also wish them the very best in 2014.”
Manager Neil Marsh, who is gearing up to guide Stalker towards titles towards the end of the year, then delved into a little more detail on what type of package Warren has put together for the talented fighter.
“Firstly, I would like to say that we are pleased to join up with Frank Warren and can reveal that we have signed a long term deal with a brilliant plan to build Tom into a top professional fighter.
“Besides the fact that the offer was better than Matchroom’s, the main reason to join with Frank is the project that will be ongoing to take Tom to the next level.
“Frank has signed several Liverpool fighters recently with the likes of Paul Butler, Derry Mathews and Kevin Satchell going there, whilst Joe Selkirk and Liam Smith were there before. This means Tom can possibly fight in Liverpool four times a year and do great shows.
“Tom begins work with Frank at the Copper Box on February 15 and then it’s on to Aintree in early March, which is a great base to start.
“I as a manager, I had too look what was best for Tom Stalker and although Matchroom have been delivering, it seems the right time to move and I sincerely wish them the best of luck with their fighters and also thank them for last year.
“When we told Eddie about the Warren deal he wanted to make us a counter, but we didn’t want to play promoters off against each other over money,” said Marsh. “We had to sign a confidentiality agreement last week when the offer came and its killed us as a team not to tell Matchroom in advance. I made the decision that if it meant us securing a great deal for my fighter, I would choose to put my own reputation to the side and get what is best for Tom.
“I sincerely apologise too Matchroom for the short notice, but this unfortunately was the terms of the agreement.
“Hopefully everyone can move on and we can all be successful in the future,” he added.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN