WBN have learned that the situation is currently at a standstill as Tannebaum holds out for a better offer for the 45 year-old, although Toney has had plenty of inquiries since defeating Matt Legg and reaching the semi-final of the tournament last month.
“I have been offered Manuel Charr for James Toney on December 20 in Hamburg in a fight that will be televised on Eurosport,” Tannenbaum exclusively told World Boxing News.
“The fight would be a twelve-rounder for several of Charr’s WBC belts, but at the moment their offer falls short of the minimum Toney needs.
“In the next 24 hours we will make a decision, but I have advised James that since Charr is the WBC’s #6 fighter it is a great opportunity to put himself back in the rankings.”
Toney, who held recognised belts at three-weights in his hey-day, dropped a huge amount of poundage for his recent stint in Britain and Tannenbaum believes that the veteran can be a force again if he maintains his current state of health.
“James is in real good shape now,” said Tannenbaum. “He is under 220 lbs and a very different fighter than the nearly 260lb one that lost to Lucas Browne earlier in the year.
“The only thing about the Charr fight is that he is concerned about being robbed in Germany. James feels he has to knock out Charr to win the fight, and I told James that it is a possibility for sure, but all of Europe will see before their own eyes on Eurosport. So should the judges steal it from him, he will most likely get some nice offers from it.”
‘Lights Out’ has won four of his last seven contests since returning from an 18-month break in 2011 and has been his busiest in recent years with four fights (two victories) so far in 2013.
A clash with Charr would seem to be an offer too good to turn down for Toney, who continues on his quest to claim the world heavyweight title that has alluded him since his first step up to the top division in 2003.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN