Khan: I am fighting in May and I hope it’s Mayweather!
Former light-welterweight champion Amir Khan has added more fuel to the rumours he could fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. next spring after admitting that a clash against the pound for pound king is in his sights.
The 26 year-old has previously been coy on rumours that he and Mayweather are working on a deal for a fight on May 3, although according to Arabian media outlet The National, Khan has his crosshairs firmly fixed on the world’s premiere fighter in 2014.
The Olympic silver medallist has been acclimatising his body to 147 since his catchweight fight with Julio Diaz last April and is using the extended time out of the ring to get his body in peak condition for when the bout comes to fruition.
“I feel fit and strong so far at 147. I have been training very hard for the past 8-10 weeks. My next fight will be in May 2014, and I hope it’s against Mayweather,” said Khan.
“My team are working to make this happen, but I am not focusing on it. My aim is to focus on my training and get as fitter and stronger as I can.”
The Bolton man believes that there are only two options viable to Mayweather since his one-sided victory over Saul Alvarez and that’s him or former stablemate Manny Pacquiao.
‘King’ Khan says both have the speed to trouble the aging ‘Money’ like never before and is keen on securing the opportunity to end the five-weight world title holder’s seemingly impenetrable unbeaten run.
“I can say, there are only two fighters who can get in the PPV revenue, that is myself or Manny,” he explained. “I am fast, I am a kind of fighter Mayweather has never faced. It’s not (only) me, but the whole world wants to see this fight happen, they want to see if Mayweather can stand in the ring and fight a fighter as fast as me or Manny.
“I would say Mayweather, Manny and myself are the most popular boxers in the game. I mean, you can tell that from our Twitter followers. That says it all,” added Khan.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN