Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder remain in contact for a potential heavyweight clash in 2014, although the former’s trainer and uncle Peter Fury says the February 8 date initially held with Sky Sports Box Office has now gone.
An undefeated battle between the two rangy punchers was deemed the next logical step once David Haye permanently pulled out of a fight with Fury and Wilder has been receptive to the advances of the former Irish champion.
Talks began between the two sides earlier this month and Peter has explained that any agreed clash would now be later in the year and can not take the slot set aside for Fury v Haye next year.
“We are still talking with Wilder’s people and are waiting to hear what the TV ideas are from the side of Golden Boy,” Fury told World Boxing News.
“Richard Schaefer is getting back to us on his thoughts for the fight, but no agreement is yet made.
“We do know that February 8th is not possible so we are looking at other dates and it is still early days for making this deal.
“Things are still being worked out and talks are not at the direct speaking stage yet, but we are in contact and hope to make this fight.”
With the date now in question, 25 year-old Fury faces the possibility of going a year without fighting following his victory over Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham at Madison Square Garden in April.
This stagnant period, brought on by the two injuries to Haye, has had an adverse affect on a frustrated Fury, who has even taken to Twitter to announce his retirement – something that has so far been dismissed by his camp and looks highly unlikely.
Sealing the fight with Wilder is seen as a must by the fight fans, who are themselves longing for a big heavyweight clash after seeing the an intriguing contest between Haye and Fury fall by the wayside.
Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay for tweets of upcoming news on WBN