Light-middleweight contender Delvin Rodriguez is primed for the fight of his life tonight as the Dominican takes on three-weight world champion Miguel Cotto in Orlando, Florida.
The 33 year-old two-time world title challenger has enjoyed a rollercoaster career so far, but now has another chance to put himself back in the spotlight with an upset victory over the Puerto Rican legend.
Rodriguez has been working hard in camp, preparing himself for the toughest fight of his career and believes this weekend could be the beginning of an extended run at the top level of the 154lb division.
“This is my time, my turn to win. I have enjoyed every second of this promotion,” said Rodriguez. “Freddie (Roach, Cotto’s trainer) says Cotto is in great shape. That’s good, but I am in better shape.
“Every fighter has a defining moment in his career. For me, my career takes a big turn for greatness on Saturday night and I will beat Cotto.”
Whether Rodriguez likes it or not, all eyes in the boxing world will be firmly fixed on Cotto, 32, as he looks to avoid a third straight loss – which ultimately could take the shine off any victory for the underdog.
‘Junito’ knows the time is at hand to resurrect his ailing career and has put all the work needed in the bank to ensure he avoids another fatal blow to his chances of sixth world title belt in the future.
“I had a great camp like Freddie said. Now I am counting the hours and the minutes to be in the ring on Saturday night. I am going to be focused. I am going to be sharp. I am going to be Miguel Cotto,” said the ex-champion.