Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has explained to WBN that a world title fight involving IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander and former 140lb king Amir Khan is fast running out of time to take place in Dubai.
Schaefer had hoped that an agreement could be reached to stage a high-profile clash in the United Arab Emirates, although persistent stalling in negotiations between the two fighters may now make that move impossible.
Khan, 26, has made his feelings on the December 7 fight taking place in the Persian Gulf quite clear, but the same cannot be said of belt holder Alexander and that could now mean the clash will have to be scheduled in the USA.
“Nothing has yet been decided on Alexander v Khan,” Schaefer told World Boxing News.
“We are waiting on Dubai and we know that Dubai is interested, but the question is now if there is enough time to do it in Dubai given the infrastructure requirements of a world championship event.”
Venues in Las Vegas and New York would certainly now come in to play for 26 year-old Alexander’s next title defence on the back of his dominant win over Khan’s compatriot Lee Purdy earlier this year.
The encounter will represent only a second fight above 140lbs for Khan following his win over Julio Diaz in April at a limit of 142lbs and would see the Bolton man challenging for a world crown for the fifth time in his career.
All that in needed now is the finalisation of where that will take place.