Rodriguez: Talk of Cotto being washed up is very wrong
Former world light-middleweight title challenger Delvin Rodriguez is gearing up for what he calls his toughest fight yet against Miguel Cotto on October 5 and is in no doubt the Puerto Rican legend is still a huge danger.
The 33 year-old, who lost out to recent Cotto opponent Austin Trout on points in a recent world title challenge, beat off the likes of Cornelius Brundrage and Carlos Molina to the high-profile Orlando clash and believes he fully deserves the chance he has been given.
“I am very exited to get the opportunity to show the boxing world that I belong in the mix with the best in my division,” Rodriguez told World Boxing News.
“I have so much motivation going into this match and I promise that I will leave it all in the ring on October 5. This is the biggest test of my career so far, no question. Miguel Cotto is a great fighter that has fought the best in the world and I know he is going to bring the best out of me.”
Rodriguez goes into the fight as a considerable underdog, although both fighters lost similar decisions to former WBA champion Trout and the odds could be deceptively long for what looks like an entertaining war on paper.
“Austin Trout is an excellent boxer, very awkward style for anyone who faces him. My match with Austin was a difficult one because I took too long to figure out his style and I didn’t go for it fast enough, but I won’t make that mistake again,” explained Rodriguez.
“I’m preparing with the mind set that I’m fighting the best fighter in the world and I will be prepared to go twelve tough rounds. I think the talk of him being washed up after the Trout fight is very wrong. His last two fights, even though he lost both against Trout and Mayweather, he was competitive against two of the best boxers in the world.
“I think this is going to be an exciting fight and a very good one for boxing and the fans. It’s always great to see two top boxers facing off against each other and I hope that it’s a pattern that will continue.”
With Floyd Mayweather moving up into the 154lb division once again to face-off against WBC king Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez in September, there is definite talk the both winners could meet next year – with Rodriguez predicting another win for the pound for pound best in Las Vegas.
“I see Mayweather boxing circles around ‘Canelo’ and winning by a decision when they fight and I would welcome the winner of that fight,” he said. “I know I would be worthy of it if I am able to dominate Miguel Cotto, which I plan to do.
“I have to get by Cotto first and foremost and I never look past an opponent. This is a very tough match, after which I will let my promoter Joe DeGuardia and manager A.J. Galante decide what’s next, but my whole team is solely focused on Miguel Cotto in October,” added Rodriguez.