Malik Scott’s Dereck Chisora TKO correct, says BBBC chief
The British Boxing Board of Control secretary Robert Smith has rejected a challenge from Malik Scott’s promoter Dan Goossen after the talented American heavyweight protested his stoppage loss to Britain’s Dereck Chisora last month.
32 year-old Scott lost his undefeated 36-fight record to ‘Del Boy’ at Wembley Arena in London on July 20 after Chisora put him on the canvas and referee Phil Edwards subsequently counted him out on what seemed to most to be a nine-count.
As Scott rose to his feet, Edwards was quick to end the fight in the sixth round with the Philadelphian in no trouble, although Smith told Goossen that no rules were breached and that the referee was correct, according to ESPN.
Chisora, 29, ended a dismal run of four high-profile losses in a row with the debatable victory, but did look to be behind on the judges scorecards at the time his glancing blow put the rangy Scott on the floor.
The Londoner now moves on to a possible European title challenge at the Copper Box Arena on September 21, whilst a disappointed Scott is contemplating his next move after suffering a loss for the first time in his career on his maiden trip out of the USA.