08
Aug
2020

Promoter denies Andrzej Wawrzyk offer for Hughie Fury

Phil Jay 28/07/2013

Former world title challenger Andrzej Wawrzyk’s promoter Leon Margules has claimed that an offer from Peter Fury to fight his son Hughie on September 28 was not forthcoming last week.

Fury Snr told WBN that Pole Wawrzyk was the latest to be contacted in relation to opposing Hughie on the undercard of elder cousin Tyson’s undercard for the David Haye clash in Manchester, although Margules has now flatly denied any request.

“We were surprised by the claim,” Margules told World Boxing News. “I even checked with all my partners to see if they were approached and I can say that we were never contacted or received any off of a Fury fight.”

Wawrzyk, 25, is currently planning his comeback after losing for the first time professionally in three rounds against WBA champion Alexander Povetkin back at Crocus City Hall, Russia in May.

18 year-old Hughie on the other hand is racing through the early stages of his career after recently improving his record to 8-0 and is scouting for a high-profile name for what will be his biggest test to date in the autumn on Sky Sports Box Office.

At this moment in time it looks as though a fight between the two is off the table.