26
Jan
2020

Tony Thompson offered big money Hughie Fury clash on September 28

Phil Jay 21/07/2013

Former world title challenger Tony Thompson has sensationally been handed the opportunity to fight 18 year-old Hughie Fury in September on the back of his second victory over David Price earlier this month.

The 41 year-old, who stopped Price in the fifth round at the Echo Arena, has been opproached with a deal better than what he received for his rematch with the Liverpudlian to face Hughie on the Haye v Fury card, according to Hughie’s father Peter.

“We have made an offer to Tony Thompson to face Hughie on September 28 in Manchester,” Peter Fury told World Boxing News.

“We are told through a reliable source that it is more than Thompson got for the Price fight and we are just waiting to see if Tony wants to accept it. As of now the offer still stands.”

Hughie has only just scored his eighth victory earlier today (Sunday) in a rematch with Moses Matovu at WonderWorld in Milton Keynes, winning every round of four in similar fashion to their first fight in May.

A clash with season veteran Thompson would represent a massive step-up for the former Amateur champion as Tyson’s younger cousin forges his own path in the heavyweight ranks.

Tickets for Haye v Fury are still available and can be purchased via the tickets tab on the top WBN menu.