The 26 year-old is currently in the second week of his extended visit to the United States after linking up with Hyde, who also manages Guillermo Rigondeaux, and told WBN that a fight with Guerrero would be ideal for him later this year.
“Now that I’m being managed by Gary Hyde my fights will mainly be in the US and what I need is a big name to put up a great performance,” Van Heerden told World Boxing News.
“I want to win over the US fans and I believe that me and Guerrero have the same style which will make for a great fight. The fans will be the winners if this fight can be made and we will be working to make sure it does happen.
“I have met with Robert Diaz from Golden Boy and will meet with him again in the week to try and make ‘The Heat vs The Ghost’ the next big fight.”
New manager Hyde then added: “The meeting with Robert Diaz went well this week and we will be on to Robert again on Monday to see if this fight can be made.
“We see it as an opportunity for Chris to look great on US TV against a fighter who’s style would compliment his and I know this will be an really entertaining fight,” reiterated Hyde.
Four-weight belt winner Guerrero, 30, hasn’t fought since being considerably out-manoeuvred by the great Floyd Mayweather in May and had been strongly linked to a clash previously with compatriot Victor Ortiz sometime in the fall.
It would be a considerable step-up for Van Heerden if the fight comes to fruition after the IBO title holder came through Matthew Hatton with minimal fuss in March, before being linked to a September showdown with Paul McCloskey.
Van Heerden’s profile is already on the up since his decision to branch out of his homeland and even being mentioned alongside fighters in the calibre of Guerrero and the like can only be good for his career moving forward.