20
Jan
2020

Oquendo manager: Fres no back-up for Fury, Haye will give him rude awakening!

Phil Jay 08/07/2013

Veteran contender Fres Oquendo will be no second choice for undefeated Tyson Fury as the American plots his next move, according to manager Tom Tsatas who spoke with WBN today.

Oquendo, 40, has been mentioned as a possible back-up by Fury if current negotiations with David Haye for a September blockbuster suddenly fell through, although Tsatas was having none if it and insists that the 21-0 bruiser is making a mistake of his own in challenging the former world champion.

“At the moment we are considering our options, however it is more important for Fres to fight for a title rather than money,” Tsatas told World Boxing News.

“Tyson Fury is on a high, but he thinks he is way better than he actually is, whilst Fres is a proven contender and has been through the ringer.

“I am of the belief that If Tyson does fight David he’s in for a rude awakening anyway,” he added.

24 year-old Fury is hopeful of announcing a deal soon to face Haye, 32, on September 28 at Manchester Arena, with talks said to be almost finalised despite several weeks of stalling on the announcement.

With under three months to go until the massive domestic UK bout, something more formal is said to be on the horizon – with trainers Adam Booth and Peter Fury having productive talks on a deal at the beginning of last week.

Meanwhile ‘The Big O’ is riding the crest of a wave after scoring four straight wins since losing to ex-world title holder Oliver McCall as Oquendo remains in the frame for big fights amongst the ranked fighters in the division.