Promoter Russell Peltz has told WBN that he is none the wiser on when former world welterweight title challenger Mike Jones will make his comeback after being knocked out by Randall Bailey one year ago.
Jones, 30, went into the fight against the then IBF champion Bailey with an impressive 26-0 record, but was halted late on despite being ahead on all cards and Peltz has stated that the Philadelphian was offered a return earlier this month.
“I have no idea regarding Mike Jones as he backed out of a fight with Ray Narh on June 1 at Atlantic City,” Peltz told World Boxing News.
Peltz was then asked in Jones was considering a change in weight or whether another fight with Bailey was in his future plans, to which he replied: “So far as I know, Mike will stay at 147lbs, but we see no reason to fight Randall Bailey again.
“If he had he beaten Bailey, he could have fought Timothy Bradley, but that didn’t happen and we will see what’s next.”
With the welterweight division currently being one of the most competitive divisions out there, jostling for titles is becoming more and more difficult and Jones will need to get back out there soon or he may face a long wait for a second world title shot.