World Boxing News has exclusively been told that attempts to make a mouth-watering middleweight clash between former world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Martin Murray have fallen apart.
A source close to the negotiations told WBN that the although contact was made and both sides were keen on getting the fight made, ultimately an agreement could not be reached for the August 3 encounter.
Murray himself has since confirmed the news and the likelihood is that Chavez will now face Bryan Vera in Mexico as he returns from suffering his only defeat to current WBC title holder Sergio Martinez.
A next opponent for Murray is less straightforward as the St. Helens man also looks to make a comeback from a loss to ‘Maravilla’ earlier this year, although his performance on the night should keep in world-class.
IBF belt holder Daniel Geale, who has been linked to a battle with Murray, is currently awaiting word from HBO on a possible fight with Darren Barker, whilst Ireland’s Andy Lee could come into play after his first round win last night in New York.