Malignaggi, who is expected to agree face Broner at the Barclays Center on June 22 in the second defence of his belt, gave little away about the finalisation of the clash and also revealed that his earlier touted Abu Dhabi contest could still happen in the future.
“Everyone will hear soon once all the final details have been made,” Malignaggi told World Boxing News when asked if the fight with Broner was a done deal for June.
When asked to comment on Broner’s decision to skip 140 and head straight to welterweight, Malignaggi added: “That is his decision. We all make choices in life and sometimes we have to pay the price for it.”
Broner, 23, has been the subject of considerable hype since bursting into the pound for pound reckoning with a dominant win over Antonio DeMarco, although Malignaggi was quick to dispel comparisons between ‘The Problem’ and world number one Floyd Mayweather Jr.
“You said it best, ‘Hype’ as no one will ever be like Mayweather, just as no one will be like Broner, he explained.
“He is a great fighter and has some skills but Mayweather is Mayweather. Just like those who try to compare Kobe or Lebron to Jordan.”
The talented 32 year-old had been due to participate in a money-spinning Abu Dhabi bout laid on the table from Showtime Sports Events. But after negotiations for the May date against mandatory challenger Diego Chaves failed, Malignaggi was immediately linked to Broner and said he hopes to resurrect the opportunity one day.
“I would love to fight in Abu Dhabi. It’s a great place with great people.”
You can follow Paul Malignaggi on Twitter @paulmalignaggi and follow on the REAL Instagram @ Malignaggi.