19
Sep
2020

Towers Commonwealth bout raises doubts over Browne v Toney

Phil Jay 14/03/2013

It has been revealed to WBN that the slated April bout between undefeated heavyweight Lucas ‘Big Daddy’ Browne and former world champion James Toney may not happen after all.

World Boxing News was told on Tuesday that American Toney had signed on the fight the tough Aussie, only for the clash to be in jeopardy less than twelve hours later.

News has filtered through that Browne has been offered the chance to face EU champion Richard Towers in a Commonwealth title eliminator in the next few weeks, with the winner in line to face David Price.

The two were supposed to fight late last year in China, until Towers suffered an injury and with the bout possibly being resurrected, that would leave Toney to contemplate his next move.

Toney’s representative Steve Tannenbaum has explained that there is another option in the document signed by ‘Lights Out’ and that could come into play if Browne opts to take the Towers fight.

“The contract Toney signed the other day calls for him to fight either Lucas Browne or Solomon Haumono,” Tannenbaum told World Boxing News.

“I am also still trying to close an important fight with an opponent I can’t reveal at this moment,” he added.