20
Sep
2020

Browne: Toney fight confirmed, I’ll be the first to put his ‘Light’s Out!’

Phil Jay 14/03/2013

Australian heavyweight Lucas Browne has told WBN that his touted April 28 clash with James Toney is now signed and sealed as the two prepare to square off in Melbourne next month.

The 33 year-old, who has perfect 15-fight record, was considering an offer to face British fighter Richard Towers in a Commonwealth belt eliminator, but ultimately found the lure of a former world champion too much to turn down.

“From the start of hearing this fight with Toney was possible I was only training for him,” Browne told World Boxing News.

“I have my list for the next few fights and that includes Towers, along with Alex Leapai, Sol Homouno and Audley Harrison, but they can wait as I get ready for Toney.

“It’s a fight I can’t wait for,” added Browne. “To be a legend you need to beat one and this is my chance to make my mark on world boxing. I’ll do that by becoming the first to stop him!”

Browne was originally scheduled to face Towers, rather than Toney, late last year and with both signed to Ricky Hatton’s stable, the fight is certain to happen at some point in 2013 –  with the winner in line to challenge the recently-beaten Commonwealth title holder David Price.