Former lightweight world champion Julio Diaz has confirmed to WBN that his much-touted catchweight clash with British star Amir Khan is now signed and sealed for the UK in April.
Without knowing the exact details of where and when the fight takes place, Diaz did state that the bout will be at 143lbs and will represent Khan’s first foray above 140 to confirm his new number two ranking with the WBC at 147.
Diaz, 33, is himself unbeaten since moving up to welterweight on the back of a stoppage loss to Kendall Holt and has knocked out three opponents, along with scoring a split decision draw with previously unbeaten Shawn Porter.
Having faced the likes of Juan Diaz and Jose Luis Castillo in the past and holding the IBF title at 135lbs, the Mexican-born Californian is no stranger to high-profile fights, but will travel outside of the his own two countries for the first time in his career.
“As of now I’ve been notified that fights done and signed,” Diaz told World Boxing News.
“We were looking for a big fight like that and I was asked if I would come down in weight to 143 before and I said no, but for Amir Khan I would.
“We have agreed a weight of 143, although where and when exactly we don’t know yet.”
26 year-old Khan got himself back to winning ways recently with a decisive win over Carlos Molina and Diaz is of the belief that the Bolton fighter is yet to truly prove he deserves to be considered alongside the pound for pound best.
“I thought Khan looked good giving the fact that he had a flat come-forward guy in front of him with no power,” said Diaz.
“I think he is up there (with the best in the world), but has yet to beat an elite fighter or pass the test against a rugged tough opponent.”
The fight, according to early indications in the UK, is to take place on April 20 or 27, with Sheffield, Manchester and London all possible locations to host Khan’s first home outing in two years.