01
Oct
2020

Waiting game for Floyd Mayweather

Phil Jay 11/02/2013

Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer has told WBN that even he is none-the-wiser as to what Floyd Mayweather’s plans are for May 4 after the WBC welterweight champion brought Devon Alexander into the mix as a possible opponent last week.

Mayweather, 35, was expected to have declared Robert Guerrero by now for his ‘Cinco de Mayweather’ promotion in late spring, although boxing fans are being made to wait as the pound for pound king mulls over his 44th pro outing in Las Vegas.

“Only Floyd Mayweather can confirm who he will fight or not,” Schafer told World Boxing News when asked about the situation. “We all have to wait a little longer.”

Mexican superstar Saul Alvarez is already confirmed for the eagerly-anticipated bill at the MGM Grand, with ‘Canelo’ possibly also in the frame to oppose Mayweather if the other options in the pipeline fail to get past the negotiations phase.