26
Oct
2020

Donaire v Rigondeaux agreed for April 13, only signatures needed

Phil Jay 28/01/2013

A high-profile unification bout between WBO super-bantamweight champion and pound for pound star Nonito Donarie and WBA title holder Guillermo Rigondeaux is almost complete after a further round of talks.

The fight had been in negotiations for a while and was thought to be under threat from a last gasp effort by Golden Boy to put Abner Mares in the frame, but Rigondeaux manager Gary Hyde told WBN that the clash is close to being finalized.

“Although there is nothing signed yet, I am told the fight between Rigondeaux and Donaire will go ahead on April 13 and I am confident that it will,” Hyde told World Boxing News.

Rigondeaux, 32, has raced through the division since turning pro on the back of 2004 and 2008 Olympic triumphs, whilst 30 year-old Donaire is regarded as one of the world’s top fighters after several world title wins at different weights.

A battle between the two is widely revered as one of the best fights out there at the moment and will be a welcome addition to the spring schedule – with the potential to be one of the fights of the year.