06
Jun
2020

Steve Cunningham one of three lined-up for Tyson Fury on April 20

Phil Jay 26/01/2013

Former world cruiserweight champion Steve ‘USS’ Cunningham is one of three candidates on a shortlist to face undefeated heavyweight Tyson Fury on his American debut.

The Philadelphian is on the back of what most believed was a rematch victory over Tomasz Adamek late last year, although the 36 year-old missed out on the W via a tight split decision – which was widely criticised.

Cunningham has now been named as a target for a clash in New York City on April 20 with Fury and contact has been made, according to the former Irish title holder’s trainer Peter Fury.

“The date of April 20 is now 100% for Tyson and we are looking getting Steve Cunningham or one of two others for Tyson’s American debut,” Peter Fury told World Boxing News adhering to Fury’s original date of March being pushed back.

“We have been in training now for a March fight so we tried to get a fight in between in Germany, but Hennessy said not possible so we will be easing Tyson back a bit. A four month camp is too long, but we are looking forward to getting out to there and making a statement in the USA.

“I think a fight with Cunningham is a good fight, especially when everyone says he beat Adamek. So if Tyson does a good job on him, it will send a message to everyone and have no doubts he will do.”

Fury, 24, would have a considerable height, weight and reach advantage over the long-time 200lber if the fight does go ahead as 6ft 3ins Cunningham has a career-high scaling of 207lbs for his heavyweight bout against Jason Gavern last September.

On the other hand, Fury, who towers over most opponents at 6ft 9ins, regularly scales around 250lbs for his contests and would go into the potential bout as a strong favourite to continue his progress towards a world title challenge in 2013.