06
Jun
2020

Sjekloca: I won’t stand for low-blows or headbutts from Bika

Phil Jay 21/01/2013

WBC super-middleweight title challenger Nikola Sjekloca is preparing for the biggest night of his life next month and says he is weary of some of opponent Sakio Bika’s strong-arm tactics used in previous bouts.

The 34 year-old looks to extend his unbeaten record to 26 wins on February 16 when the Montenegrin tackles the former IBO title holder at the Boardwalk Hall and hopes to win his first world title in what will be his maiden US bout.

“Sakio Bika is very strong, very dangerous and everybody in the US knows him after his great fights versus Calzaghe, Bute, and Ward,” Sjekloca told World Boxing News.

“He deserves to fight for title again, but I don’t like it if somebody hits me bellow the belt or with a headbutt after the referee has stopped the action.

“I have been in training from November and I hope that we will have clean fight for WBC green belt,” he added.

The WBC confirmed to WBN last week that the contest will be for the full version of their 168lb title as champion Andre Ward is bumped up to ‘Emeritus’ status until the American recovers from recent shoulder surgery.

The clash between Sjekloca and Bika forms an important part of the undercard for Adrien Broner’s WBC lightweight title defence against former light-welterweight belt holder Gavin Rees in Atlantic City live on HBO.