Mexico now possible for Pacquiao v Marquez 5
As far as Juan Manuel Marquez is concerned, a fifth fight with Manny Pacquiao is a done deal.
Set for Sept. 14 before an expected sellout crowd, Mexico’s No. 1 promoter Fernando Beltran said Marquez will return the favor and grant Pacquiao the chance to redeem himself following the sixth-round knockout he absorbed last year.
“Juan Manuel Marquez is a gentleman and we think Manny gave us the opportunity without needing to give us one and if we need to fight him, we will fight him,” Beltran told Ryan Songalia in the on-line edition of The Ring magazine.
Beltran, who heads Zanfer, Mexico’s premier promotional outfit, is giving too much weight on Pacquiao’s decision to face Marquez in a fourth fight.
Pacquiao would have walked away from another Marquez slugfest and chose a different opponent last year but opted to give Marquez another opportunity.
This early, a fight on US soil is being ruled out as a possibility owing to the tax rate that huge-earners like Pacquiao are subjected to.
Arum said that the US government recently increased the rate from 35 to almost 40 percent, compelling the 61-year-old Hall of Fame promoter to train his sights overseas.
Macau and Mexico City are being targeted as sites and Beltran said Mexico City has a new venue similar to what Las Vegas can offer.
While it appears that Pacquiao and Marquez are on their way to a historic fifth clash, it would be interesting to know how the revenue-sharing would look like.
Of course, Marquez won’t agree to play second fiddle to Pacquiao again and Pacquiao is expected to assert himself as the bigger attraction, paving the way for disagreements and feuds to surface during the negotiations.
Article courtesy of Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin via Tempo.com.ph