Pacquiao and Marquez lined-up for double-header on April 20
Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez are being poised to share the spotlight anew on April 20. Not against each other but against separate opponents.
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum told the Bulletin on Wednesday that Pacquaio has already indicated his desire to return to the ring in April following the sixth-round knockout to Marquez last year in Las Vegas.
“While I was on vacation (in Cape Town, South Africa), (Pacquiao adviser) Michael (Koncz) reached out to (Top Rank matchmaker) Bruce Trampler, saying they want to fight in April,” said Arum from his Las Vegas residence.
Arum said Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions is due to meet with Marquez about the possibility of him and Pacquiao appearing in a double-header against separate foes.
Arum said the proposed double main event should serve as a teaser to a planned slambang September showdown between Pacquiao and Marquez, saying it will be held during the height of the celebration of Mexican Independence.
“This is a more important celebration among Mexicans compared to the Cinco de Mayo (festivities),” said the 81-year-old Arum.
Arum said that while the Nevada Athletic Commission prevents Pacquiao from fighting within a 120-day period, the ban would have been lifted by the third week of April. The commission also has ordered the 34-year-old Filipino icon to refrain from engaging in any contact in the first 90 days of the mandatory suspension.
“It didn’t say that he can’t train,” reasoned out Arum, noting that Pacquiao can commence sparring a month before the fight.
Still, Arum maintained that negotiations haven’t started yet.
Pacquiao said he has moved on from the Marquez defeat and is actually aching to return to the ring as he begins the arduous road to redemption.
Despite the brutal knockout, Pacquiao was cleared by doctors in Las Vegas after a CT Scan immediately after the fight and upon his arrival in Manila, he underwent an MRI and was given a clean bill of health by experts at Cardinal Santos.
Article courtesy of Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin