20
Sep
2020

Alexander wants Mayweather or Pacquiao

Phil Jay 24/10/2012

Devon Alexander has given a strong indication that he may be ready to relinquish his newly-claimed IBF welterweight title by telling WBN that he is looking to challenge some of the marquee names in the division.

The St. Louis fighter took the title with an unspectacular victory over Randall Bailey on Saturday night in Brooklyn, whilst British star Kell Brook knocked out Hector Saldivia on the same night to become mandatory challenger.

Brook, 26, is now the next in line to challenge Alexander, with the IBF also confirming to WBN that the American has no optional defence, meaning that he has to put the belt up against ‘The Special One’ in his next fight.

Alexander previously told WBN that he doesn’t even know who Brook is and after a further discussion, has now made it clear that hopes to snag a stellar name after becoming a two-weight world champion.

“I’m looking for bigger and better fights like Mayweather and Pacman,” Alexander told World Boxing News.

“I don’t know who my mandatory is and who’s not, but I will see what’s next pretty soon. I’m not sure what the plan is but I don’t count anybody out at this stage.”

‘The Great’ was then asked if he would be willing to travel to the UK as sought by Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn, to which he replied: “I love my UK fans, but we will have to see about that.”

The 25 year-old is obliged to face Brook or give up his title and judging by his latest remarks, the latter looks to be the most likely scenario as Alexander sets his sights on a huge bout in the coming year.