Kimbo Slice denies Roy Jones Jr rumours
Unbeaten heavyweight Kimbo Slice has told WBN that any potential bout with former pound for pound king Roy Jones Jr. will have to wait as the one-time backyard brawler resumes his boxing career on October 6.
The 38 year-old, who has racked up five victories since turning pro just over a year ago, has been linked to a high-profile contest with Jones in December, but won’t be commenting on the situation until after next month’s outing at the Buffalo Run Casino.
“I’m in training for my next fight on October 6,” Slice told World Boxing News when pressed on the Jones rumour.
“I gotta stay focused and I haven’t done any interviews regarding it (the Jones talk) yet.”
Slice, real name Kevin Ferguson, has been criticized by some boxing purists for the calibre of his opposition so far as novice pro’s and lighter-weight MMA fighters have been his fodder for the infancy of his career in boxing.
Ferguson and promoter Gary Shaw have always maintained that they wanted to take his prizefighting efforts slowly, although any clash with the former world heavyweight champion would certainly be a step in the right direction.