Matthew Macklin is in negotiations for a return against Joachim Alcine on September 15th as the middleweight contender returns from his gallant effort against the formidable Sergio Martinez in March.
The former European champion pushed ‘Maravilla’ for ten rounds at Madison Square Garden on St. Patricks Day before losing out in the eleventh and has told WBN that a return against the Canadian veteran is in the pipeline.
“Alcine on September 15 is looking almost definite so far as I know and I am hoping to have it confirmed in next few days,” Macklin told World Boxing News.
36 year-old Alcine is coming off an impressive victory over highly-rated compatriot David Lemieux in December and Macklin hopes a win over ‘Ti-Joa’ can lead to a fight against the winner of the upcoming title bout between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Sergio Martinez.
“Martinez-Chavez is a very interesting fight,” said Macklin. “I was at the fight in El Paso against Andy (Lee, when Chavez won via fifth round stoppage) and he looked very strong and impressive. But having said that Martinez is a different proposition altogether. He is extremely quick on his feet, very mobile and doesn’t really tire.
“I don’t think Martinez will stop Chavez but I think he’ll win a comfortable points decision in a good fight.”
According to promoter Lou DiBella, Macklin could then be in line to face Chavez whether he comes through Martinez with his WBC title or not, and the Birmingham-born Irishman has no qualms stepping up for the challenge.
“I would love the fight with Chavez,” he explained. “I think stylistically it has ‘Fight of the Year’ written all over it and it’s a fight that I think would be tough, but that I know I would come out on top in.”