Paralysed boxer Williams recovering from surgery

Former welterweight king Paul Williams is said to be resting after undergoing lengthy surgery yesterday to protect the top half of his spine following a motorcycle crash last Sunday.

Promoter Dan Goossen said the six and a half hour procedure ‘went as planned’ as Williams went under the knife yesterday and the two-weight champion will now need some time to recover.

The 30 year-old has been openly talking to journalists since the accident, which left him paralysed from the waist down and Williams intends to fight the diagnosis to end, even vowing to walk again despite only being given a 10% chance by doctors.

Williams ring career ended instantly when his motorcycle failed to manoeuvre a corner in Marrietta, Georgia, just days after his next world title shot against WBC light-middleweight champion Saul Alvarez was announced for September 15th.

Alvarez, 21, has so far pencilled in a replacement in James Kirkland, only for the contender to be ruled out by a shoulder injury and the Mexican in now in the process of securing another challenger for the bout at the MGM Grand.