The former WBC welterweight champions were due to rematch next month following a ‘Fight of the Year’ contender in April last year, but the bout has now been scrapped after a VADA sample given by Berto came back positive.
Ortiz, 25, is now left to pick up the pieces and find a new opponent as calling off the whole event was never an option for the 29-3-2 fighter, who has been out of the ring since losing his world title to Floyd Mayweather in September.
“When my manager Rolando Arellano told me (about Berto’s failed test), I said five words. ‘I’m going to the gym,” Ortiz told World Boxing News.
“Right now, my opponent is up to my promoters Golden Boy and my manager, but I will fight anybody they say between 140-150 pounds.”
Asked whether Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana had been considered as reports suggest, Ortiz answered: “You’re gonna’ have to ask Oscar de la Hoya or Rolando that question,” as the likeable American is clearly focusing on being in peak condintion no matter who is put in front of him next in five weeks’ time.
Through no fault of his own, Ortiz has had a nine-month spell on the sidelines after a scheduled February contest with Berto was postponed due a bicep injury suffered by the Florida boxer and Ortiz hopes to make the second half of 2012 a busy one. “A fight in June, September and November would be perfect for me, it has been a frustrating year so far.”
Speaking specifically on the test, Ortiz went on: “What are these guys thinking? They request the drug testing and then get busted! Does someone tell them there is juice that can’t be detected?” he questioned.
“I have God-given strength and hard work in training. That’s my boost. Right now I’m training for a June 23 fight. Bring um’ on.”