Mexico reports GGG v Canelo 2 is done for May 5 in Las Vegas, De La Hoya says 'it's not close'

Credit: Ed Mulholland / HBO
Typography

Oscar De La Hoya has denied reports from Mexico cheering the fact that Canelo Alvarez's rematch with Gennady Golovkin is a done deal for May 5th in Las Vegas.

Social media was awash with confirmations on Thursday evening as Spanish announcements stated 'GGG v Canelo 2 was agreed for Cinco de Mayo at the T-Mobile Arena'.

Contrary to those offerings, respected journalists in the United States were releasing articles stating the fight was close but that New York was a serious rival to the venue.

As conflicting views brought blurred lines, the Golden Boy supremo sent out a tweet clarifying no deal was yet in place despite Alvarez being on board.

"@Canelo vs @GGGBoxing is not done and not close to being done considering reports. I promise all the fans it will get done soon if and when @GGGBoxing agrees to the rematch," said De La Hoya alluding to the fact that Golovkin and his team were causing the hold-up.

As WBN pointed out this week, January 13 of last year was the chosen date for GBP's Canelo announcement for May 5 against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. meaning De La Hoya will be pushing behind the scenes for something to be sorted in the next few days.

It's not thought the GGG v Canelo rematch is in any danger of not making it to the first bell, whilst both sides will have to move quickly to avoid any future bumps in the road that would delay the imminent confirmation.

T-Mobile Arena remains the hot favorite as Madison Square Garden in New York would be like De La Hoya giving Golovkin home advantage and seems an unfathomable stipulation for Canelo to agree.

More is set to unfold as the weekend progresses.