Hearn reveals Joshua v Wilder talks covered possible two-fight deal, questions Haye injury leak

Credit: IFL TV
Typography

Promoter Eddie Hearn reflected on his time in the United States with IFL TV's James Helder on Sunday and gave an update on the situation regarding Anthony Joshua.

Fans want the unified world heavyweight title holder to fight American WBC ruler Deontay Wilder next, although WBO champion Joshua Parker remains the favourite.

Speaking of Joshua v Wilder, Hearn told Helder he spoke to Shelly Finkel and Al Haymon (Wilder's representatives) in New York last week and covered all the possible bases.

Hearn said the pair could share a bill in March or April before a summer meeting at a UK stadium. The Matchroom boss also added that Finkel and Haymon were keen on staging the fight in Las Vegas.

That would potentially mean Joshua v Wilder I in June or July before a contracted return at the T-Mobile Arena later in the year.

Splitting the purses remains to biggest sticking point as Hearn believes Joshua will 'have to overpay' to land his unification bouts but that all the stipulations still had to be ironed out.

Joshua defeated Carlos Takam in a one-sided title defense last month and is currently enjoying some downtime before getting back in the gym.

The 2012 Olympic gold medallist has already been in contact with Hearn, as stated in the interview, asking specifically for Parker or Wilder to be his next opponent.

In other news regarding a possible injury to David Haye, Hearn questioned whether the news had been leaked by Team Hayemaker on purpose, although stated it's his belief that Tony Bellew's December 17 rival is fighting fit.

WBN has been informed Haye is touch and go for the contest, but with millions to be made, it's unclear whether the two-weight world champion intends to pull out of the rematch.