There’s potentially a new King of the Jungle on the UK domestic scene following John ‘The Gorilla’ Ryder’s exciting victory over Adam Etches on the ITV Box Office debut card earlier this month.
Ryder produced a career-best display at the Olympia in London to rejuvenate his reputation following a couple of setbacks in the last two years. A shock defeat to Jack Arnfield followed a stoppage loss against Nick Blackwell in 2015, although Ryder is now blossoming again under trainer long-time coach Tony Sims.
A shock defeat to Jack Arnfield followed a stoppage loss against Nick Blackwell in 2015, although Ryder is now blossoming again under trainer long-time coach Tony Sims.
Obvious tweaks in the gym, coupled with a new frame of mind, helped Ryder in his quest to impress on the Pay-Per-View and big fights are on the horizon for the likeable Londoner over the next few months.
Below, WBN gives a rundown of which fights could excite the British fans in the summer of 2017.
5. Paul Smith Jnr – After missing out on a third chance at a world title, ‘Smigga’ is at a loose end and would make for a toe-to-toe encounter between the two warriors.
4. Jamie Cox – The undefeated Swindon man returned from a year out at the back end of 2016 and destined for a world title shot in the next eighteen months.
3. Martin Murray – As with Smith, Murray provides value for money every fight, and having moved up from 160 pounds without too much success, needs a rival to elevate him towards the champions.
2. Rocky Fielding – The Liverpool man is on the way back from a crushing loss to Callum Smith and would be a solid test for Ryder to see if those European and world title dreams can become a reality.
1. Chris Eubank Jr. – Lifting the IBO title on the ITV bill alongside Ryder instantly led to two and two being put together, and with both tied together for a possible return to ITV, the fight would make sense for the fans who paid good money for the event.