Exclusive: Tyson Fury confirms Wladimir Klitschko rematch delay

Credit: Justin Downing

In a phone interview on Wednesday, Tyson Fury exclusively informed WBN that he is still not in full training ahead of his contracted return with Wladimir Klitschko.

Uncle and trainer Peter had initially predicted dates in April or May to WBN for a second unified world title clash with the Ukrainian, although Tyson is yet to begin serious preparations and says that timescale is now unworkable.

In fact, solid terms are still yet to be laid out between the Fury camp and Klitschko’s team as the current top division king awaits news from promoter Mick Hennessy on the anticipated contest.

“I’ve not heard anything I don’t know anything. I’ve got not dates, nothing,” Fury told World Boxing News.

“It will probably be the summer time because I haven’t really done any training yet. It’s not going to be anytime soon, I don’t think.”

Fury, 27, has been busy with media and family obligations since dethroning Klitschko in impressive fashion last November and recently picked up the Ring Magazine title belt to confirm his status as the lineal title holder at 200-pound plus.

The undefeated puncher outlined his three-fighter wishlist earlier this week, naming Klitschko, WBC title holder Deontay Wilder and IBF champion Charles Martin as his three targets for 2016, although Fury did assure WBN that there is only one opponent next in line.

“Yep, Klitschko. that’s it,” replied Fury when asked directly whether ‘Dr. Steelhammer’ will - without any doubt - be his first challenger.

The longer the delay in making the fight though, the better this could be for Fury as Klitschko turns 40 next month and is already on the slide following a distinguished and standout career in the sport.